Sunday, October 28, 2012

Get Your Head Straight !

"You're better than this"

Those were the words that kept running through my mind when my personal development professor lectured us about the high number of students slacking-off in her class, me being one of them. Granted, i may procrastinate now and then, but i typically complete my work. But I don't give up on anything important to me, like school. When I do something, it's usually my best. Her words shocked me, for I am no slacker.

Questions ran through my mind when I left my "I'm-slacking-off" class: What's wrong with me? What happened? How come I'm not doing my work? My mind went back and forth:

  • Perhaps this is a phase.
  • No, it's not a phase; it's something deeper.
  • It's the teacher's fault.
  • It's too childish to blame it on the teacher.
  • It's my fault.
  • Perhaps, it's possible.
  • It's my classmates fault.
That idea stopped me in my tracks: Maybe I am getting to comfortable with my clasmates. Yes! That's it. Our learning community gets along great; we do lots of stuff outside of class together: we play basketball, go eat, hang-out. I spend more time socializing with my classmates rather than focusing on class topics. The learning community is supposed to help us so that we do our work, but instead it is creating a barrier were we just socialize.

Apparently I'm not the only one in this situation. Most of my classmates who socialize out of class tend to slack of on work too. The ones who aren't simply socializing are getting all the good grades! It makes sense that socializing gets in the way of work. It's not an excuse; it's just the truth. The obvious answer is to spend more time focused on school work rather than hanging out with friend.

But, another truth is that I can hang out with my new friends and do schoolwork together. I like that I feel comfortable -close even- to my classmates. That's a big plus. But that closeness, unless channeled into our purpose (to become better writers & better students), is working against my best interest.

It will be hard to shift the balance from social to intellectual, because we have all gotten used to socializing outside of class but it isn't impossible. We must all contribute to helping eachother in classwork. It will be difficult ... but together we can do it! We must unite.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the excuses students tend to think of when they don't do their school assignments due to procrastination. I also learned a lot of great things from Professor Abuan in her Personal Development course. I'm glad it helped you stay on track and not give in to procrastination like you used to. Your blog post is inspiring and I think it's important for many students to stay motivated. It's good to know that students aren't alone if their having a challenge balancing their school work.

    ReplyDelete